Saturday, January 02, 2010

Four Years of La France Profonde

With all of the activity of Christmas and our trip to Amsterdam squeezed in between Christmas and New Year's, I didn't even think of taking the time to recognize a milestone: the 4th anniversary of the creation of La France Profonde.

Those were heady times. Sure, some of the contacts I made in that first year had already been blogging for a while. I remember being so impressed that SHE had been showering the blogosphere with her genius since 2004 (!) But many of you, I think, had started around the same time or were to start during 2006.

My initial objective for this blog was simply to write about Aveyron. I imagined a near-journalistic, factual approach to the subject, and at one time even started doing some historical research about the area. I saw blogging as a ""publish and be read" activity, and didn't even know that comments would be left, contacts would be made, and friendships would be built as a result of this space.

Along the line, I created two other blogs, Cuisine Quotidienne and And So Forth. The former enjoyed mild success, but I have lost my cooking drive for the moment, and think if I do get it back, I will post about cooking here.

If truth be told, time for my two other blogs likely got funneled into Facebook and Twitter, which have been rich additions to my online life.

Over the past few months, I have lacked inspiration for keeping up even this blog, but have decided it is an important part of my life -- thus the injection of some NaBloPoMo mojo for January 2010!

And yes, expect a few ramblings about blogging and the future direction of La France Profonde during my marathon of 31 posts...any suggestions are welcome!

12 comments:

Tinsie said...

Congratulations! Wishing you lots of anniversaries and many more posts!

tut-tut said...

Here's to 4 more. I like the pithiness of FB myself. Twitter is so fast. I don't know how to text (I know, I know) so I think I'm missing the point of it by tweeting from my computer.

Betty Carlson said...

Thanks for the wishes.

Tut-tut, I'm not a big texter and do not tweet from a mobile device. I do think that is "the point of it" for a lot of tweeters, but for the moment I don't want to be THAT connected.

Katie Zeller said...

Happy 4th! My, time flies...
I don't believe I have ever texted.... no one to text to here. I'll have to get with it next time I'm in the US.

Alison said...

Heh. Thanks for the plug! You know my tagline is tongue-in-cheek, right?

Congratulations on four years. That's a long time! I hope that NaBloPoMo gives you the boost you are looking for. Me? I'm still trying to find my blogging mojo. Ain't much genius happening these days!

Betty Carlson said...

No, Ali, I honestly thought you were trying to convince us all you were a genius :)

Unknown said...

Bonne Annee, Betty.

It's hard for many of us to blog these days, what with so much going on in the world. So many of my thoughts are not about food these days.

I love your posts on Rodez.

Best of luck in 2010.

Mimi

The Pliers said...

Happy 4th Anniversary, Betty C. I'll be looking forward to seeing your posts this year.

And I hope I'll be seein' you in the flesh in 2010!

Amitiés,

Linda said...

I think I started before you did although it wasn't a blog for a few years. I have found it a lot of fun and it keeps me out and about and alert with my camera. Plus, it turned out to be a great way to make friends. Who knew?

Betty Carlson said...

Thank you for your comment Linda. I wanted to leave one on your blog but couldn't find it on your Blogger profile. I think I know you name, but can't remember which blog you go with (!) That's another thing I'm trying to do this year -- get my sidebar cleaned up and at least know who's who. Could you remind me of the name of your blog (I think I know YOUR last name...)

I agree, I had no idea what blogging would lead to when I got started. And that's why I'm determined to revive FP and get back into the swing of it all!

paris parfait said...

Congrats to you for all your hard work explaining and entertaining. Here's to your next four!(My four-year mark is coming up later this month).

Jennifer said...

Bravo on 4 years!