Saturday, July 08, 2006

Meeting with Anntoinette (Trapped in Trappes)

I've been in Olympia since Thursday after a grueling Madrid-Chicago-Seattle flight. After a slow start, I definitely plan to get back to blogging, although that involves getting used to a QWERTY typewriter and my parents' hopelessly slow Mac. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, "I'm doing the best I can."

But now to the real news. In my last blog, I alluded to a meeting I would be having with a fellow blogger -- actually an ex-Blogger blogger -- and it was Antoinette of Trapped in Trappes! I know a lot of you in our little expat blogging community read her hilarious but sad take on French life, which disappeared suddenly a few months ago. A lot of you were, like me, worried about her.

So imagine my surprise when I got an email telling me she and her family were spending their holidays in Aveyron -- mainly because of my blog -- and that she would like to meet me! Despite my crazy pre-departure schedule, I managed to have lunch with her, her charming husband and darling three-year-old son. The blogosphere is an amazing place.

It's not up to me to tell you how she's doing or to give you any update, but maybe she will leave a comment on this post when she gets back from vacation. Here's to you Anntoinette!

4 comments:

Pardon My French said...

First, have fun back home, and let us know what you're up to! I hope you keep blogging because I always enjoy your posts.

And, yay! I'm glad to hear Antoinette is still around; I still try the link once in a while on the off chance she's decided to put it back up. Antoinette, I'm watching the game tomorrow in Maurepas and I think of you every time we drive by Trappes. Sounds like you both had a great time.

Happy vacationing to all!

Samantha said...

I'm glad to hear she's doing okay (or is at least still alive *S*)- and I've tried clicking on her link every once in a while just in case too!

Anne said...

Ah, if Antoinette does read this, or if these messages are passed on to her, there are quite a few of us wondering what happened to her and if she's doing well. It sounds like perhaps if she came on vacation with her family that things are doing OK for her. We ex-pats would love to hear from her and find out how she's doing. Antoinette, please let us know how you're doing and what's become of you? kindest regards!

Bizy said...

I suppose that negativity does attract negativity and that is one great lesson I learned from blogging. I wanted a space to vent my frustrations and I thought blogging might work. However, I felt misunderstood, misinterpreted, and I suppose some of the humoristic sides of my blog were taken too literally. I also learned that there are really some die-hard French lovers willing to defend France no matter what the truth might be. Maybe some day I will arrive at this point as well. The criticism was often without constructive suggestions, just some name calling and white-trash style comments without legitimate arguments. And I definitely didn't want to spend all my time dealing with that. I have found a greater sense of peace through my true human relationships and venting with others who share my same concerns (even some French). Thanks for your comments. We are all doing well and focusing more on the positive side of life.