Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Gastronomy in Aveyron

When I talk about Averyron with my friends, be they French or English-speaking, one theme recurs: "On mange bien ici!" It seems to me that people eat well all over France, but Aveyron is especially well-known for its gastronomical pleasures.

If you want to take a look at -- or even buy -- some of the area's specialties, click to Made in Aveyron. Since my husband works in agricultural finance and management, we personally know or know of a lot of the producers represented on the site, and the products are of very high quality.

I'm wondering if all of my expat readers also feel that they live in an area with great food. Is every part of France as proud of its culinary heritage as Aveyron?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in Haute Marne (Champagne region) they make really stinky cheese, and yes, they're very proud of it...that and the wine. Sadly there aren't any "regional" dishes to be found--the bubbly overshadows everything on that front, but there are a few local dishes with a lot of flare. They also have the tendency here to measure marital bliss by how well the wife cooks.

Sara - Piperita said...

Let's say French are pround of anything they do, food or no food, but in Aveyron they really have this wonderfull gastronomy and tradition...
Last year, during a France tour, I discovered many region, and they are proud too of they wonderful products, like the ducks, and anything duck related in Perigord, or the Lyon food...
Every time I visit my parents in law I come back with a suitcase full of Aveyron goodies!!!

wcs said...

We certainly are! I'm half joking, since the Loire Valley seems to have just a few specialties, like goat cheese, rillons, and wine.

I understand that when the kings lived in the Loire Valley, the had all the good things they enjoyed from other regions brought here to be grown or raised, so there's a little bit of everything. And the Atlantic is not far so there is plenty of fresh seafood.

I'm starting to get hungry...