Saturday, February 17, 2007

Good-bye, My Hospital



It may seem strange to write a hospital series, but the construction of le nouvel hôpital in the "New Rodez," Bourran, is yet another major change in the local landscape.

A few years ago, I had the unfortunate experience of being hospitalized for a month in the "old hospital," on the "site Combarel" -- in this very ward, in fact. Strangely, I look back at that period with some nostalgia. Even though I was very ill, I knew -- most of the time -- that I wasn't suffering from anything life-threatening. Time stood still, and I learned that my family could function without me and that life went on at work, even in my absence.

My memories also revolve around the gradual discovery of the funky old Combarel hospital, which was a campus-style establishment nestled in the center of town. A total mishmash of incongruent architectural styles, it has been replaced by a state-of-the-art facility that I got to know recently during my daughter's bout with appendicitis.

La France Profonde will be taking a look at the old and the new over the next few posts, which will be a bit more frequent as I have a number of photos to share with you. In my opinion, nothing better represents the huge modifications going on in Rodez.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are lovely posts on the hospital, Betty. All of them and the photos resonate with me somehow. I think it might be the angle of the sun on the buildings. Even the newer ones don't bother me so much.

You make a powerful statement about change in Rodez.