Friday, July 23, 2010

Alive and well in Olympia


I thought this long summer break would be a time of intense online activity, and a time to revive this blog.

It may well be -- but not yet.

I have here for a week and a half, and have been doing anything and everything but using my favorite social networking sites.

Facebook has been serving as communications central for getting together with friends here; I've issued a few tweets, but haven't felt much desire to follow Twitter; I figure I'm going to have to clear my Google Reader when it gets to 1000 unread posts.

Replacing all of this are emails to my family back in France, connecting to my work email platform to check up on how my students are doing on their foreign internships, and some online work on the syllabi for my classes next year.

Of course, plenty of offline stuff is going on: seeing my family and friends, outings to restaurants and shows, reading, watching movies and baseball games...

It's summer and I think I needed a break from all of my routines. But I'm not gone forever.

I hope you are all enjoying your summer as much as I am. I will be back in touch.

8 comments:

The Pliers said...

Bonjour, Betty C.! And happy holidays in the great PNW. I had intended to wish you "Bon voyage!," also, but time got away from me.

I hope that you will have a wonderful vacation with friends and family and holler at those of us still basking in the summer storms of France from time to time.

Amitiés,

Sara Louise said...

Hope you continue to enjoy your holiday! :-)

Tinsie said...

I've just returned to London after 2.5 glorious weeks in Athens, during which I did very little blogging indeed (too busy seeing people and places). I noticed you'd not done any WWs in that time, so the good news is we're still in sync :-)

Laura in Paris said...

I'm enjoying life at Lago di Como!
Have a great summer - and holiday!

Jennifer said...

So glad to hear you're having a nice time. Enjoy!!!!

Betty said...

Hi Betty. My blog has been having a little rest from me for a few weeks, too, and I've just started to miss it and everyone else's today.
Hope you're having a great holiday!

Unknown said...

Hi Betty, I was a couple classes ahead of you at OLY. I saw this picture and it reminded me that as a youngster I remember swimming at Capital Lake and watching them build that TALL building.....ha ha. I remember thinking Olympia is building skyscrapers now....we are really something. Does that mean I'm old? They are at the least fond memories. I found your blog through the many mutual friends we have from Olympia. Thank you.
Robert Livingston

Betty Carlson said...

Robert -- Of course I remember you very well! Thanks for the comment -- I'm not writing this blog anymore, so it is nice to get one. I had exactly the same feeling: "wow, a skyscraper." Now they call it "the mistake by the lake" -- if you still live in Olympia, you probably know that it is totally empty now!