Saturday, June 12, 2010

Good-bye to a weird corner of Rodez

I must admit, and likely have admitted on this blog, that I'm one of those people who loves to stick her nose into derelict buildings, and who is quite fascinated by weird places like the one above.

If they're in the center of town, so much the better.

This little rundown yard right across from La Maison du Livre, Rodez's most popular bookstore, has intrigued me for years.

Are those rabbit cages in the back? Doors to an old W.C. on the left? Or were they?

Because yes, I am sad to say that this certainly hot piece of real estate is gone and being transformed into something...perhaps a clothes shop or a tea salon, both of which Rodez seems to abound in.

Why should I be sad? The place was an eyesore, and probably impossible to salvage. If I owned it or had inherited it, I certainly wouldn't have the energy to oversee the work necesarry to turn it into a charming town center house avec jardin.

I will miss pondering what it used to be, though.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

that is sad to see, but I do like that fence...

Anonymous said...

The property is probably worth a fortune. The inheritance has likely been going on for years, which is why nothing's been done.

Laura in Paris said...

Yes, cheap clothes replace every spot in our towns ... it's sad.

Sara Louise said...

Would you keep us posted during it's transformation? I'd love to see how it turns out :-)

Katie Zeller said...

I always want to know the history - who lived there, what did they do, where are the descendants now.... What was their life like. I have too much imagination....

Betty Carlson said...

Sara, I'll try to come back to this place and do another post. Thanks for dropping by.

Katiez, I'm the same way -- thus my photos of and fascination with this sort of place. I was the same way in the USA, where there are plenty of run-down buildings to peer my nose into.

newwine said...

I've just discovered your blog and I love it - I share your fascination with places like this! Don't think it's possible to have too much imagination though...
Thanks, I will be visiting you again and will look forward to learning more about Aveyron...