Sunday, January 18, 2015

Where were you when....?



As dramatic events unfolded in France, I was quietly eating a sandwich here

I haven't blogged about New Year's Resolutions, but one is to take advantage of the time I can (sometimes) take off work at lunch to do some exploration of areas close to my job in Rodez.

I acted on this resolution on the fateful day of January 7th. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, I hadn't checked any breaking news before leaving my office -- I seldom do -- and I had slipped out of the building quickly to hit the open road.

My colleagues who went home for lunch that day spent their break glued to the TV; those who ate at work, glued to their cell phones or office computers.

I was off exploring somewhere between Druelle and Balsac, eating a sandwich in the non-descript hamlet of Capelle, oblivious to the turmoil unfolding.




5 comments:

bookworm said...

Americans of my generation (I'm 62) remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they learned that President Kennedy had been shot. For the next generation, it was what they were doing when the space shuttle Challenger exploded. For my son,it was 9/11. Sad that traumatic events like this sear "what was I doing" into our minds, never to forget. Alana

Sarah said...

The one that's seared in my memory (which is notoriously forgetful), is 9/11. I was at work and someone had seen what was happening online and went to switch the tele on...

Betty Carlson said...

bookworm -- I am a bit younger than you, and only have vague recollections of the JFK assissination. I definitely remember Robert's though -- my parents were hysterical.

It's funny, I was teaching high school in the States when the Challenger exploded, and I clearly remember the commemorative assembly, but not finding out about it.

To both: I have very strong memories of the 9/11 news, which I got at home on a sunny day off, about an hour before picking my girls up from school here in Aveyron. That might be worth a blog post someday...

Sue Brady Ardington said...

I was driving down Henderson Blvd to the the freeway entrance. I was on my way to school in the dark listening to NPR, listening to the breaking news in Paris. It was shocking, and made me feel heavy and sad. The French have led the way in the "right to be free". I am grateful for that and heartbroken about the senseless slaughter.

Perpetua said...

I'm British, but I too can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard that President Kennedy had been shot and the change in TV schedules to reflect the solemnity of the occasion.