Tuesday, January 20, 2015

TJ Tuesday -- Finding color amid the drab


Photo courtesy of Thierry Jouanneteau

I'm not all that sorry to say I fell off the NaBloPoMo bandwagon. Because what I can say is that posting to this blog for 13 days straight was a major accomplishment after 4 years of very sketchy blogging here

So I am back to the rhythm that has worked for me since picking up again in November: a short TJ Tuesday or Travel Tuesday, plus one (hopefully) longer post at some point during the week, most likely over the weekend when I have time to sit down and think about it.

So this Tuesday features another photo by my husband. I'm not sure where he took it, but it would appear to be somewhere not that far from Rodez. 

As you can see, some hillsides around here can be on the drab side. 

But I love the way the corn brightens up this photo.

9 comments:

Susan said...

It's unusual to see a corn rack in use these days. It's a great photo and I think you do the hillside an injustice. One of the reasons the yellow of the corn works so well is because of the lavendery tones on the hillside.

Betty Carlson said...

Susan first, thank you for the vocabulary: I wasn't quite sure what the word was for the corn container. Now I know it is a corn rack.

As far as the "drab" (or not) hill...that is just the sort of landscape around here that gets me a little down during winter. I will try to find the beauty in it!

Nadege said...

And the grass is green. What you don't see is all the life force inside the trees waiting to come out at the first hint of warmth. The first daffodils are ready to poke their noses out on the Aubrac… Are the blackbirds (merles) singing yet?

Betty Carlson said...

True, Nadège. I think the photo was taken in early March. I still think there is something dull about the color of the hill though -- but I had noticed the green grass!

Aussie in France said...

Great photo. I read "com rack" in Susan's comment the first time. My eyes aren't as good as I thought they were ... When I started out, I posted every day but it soon got too much for me. I cut down to three times a week but since we moved to Blois, my posting has been very sporadic. I think I'm back on track now though.

Sara Louise said...

I like how the corn brightens it up to. And there's something calm and lovely about this photo, it looks like winter :)

Betty Carlson said...

Aussie -- It is hard to find the right rhythm. I want to have time to read other blogs again, so I can't be only focusing on writing. I did a few Na BloPoMos with 100% participation, but those days may be over!

Sara Louise -- It does look like winter, except it was taken in early March...which is one of the downsides of this high altitude part of Southern France: spring comes pretty late sometimes.

Perpetua said...

Another super photo. That hillside reminds me strongly of the colours of the Scottish Highlands for much of the year.

Betty Carlson said...

Perpetua -- We live in an area of "causses." I'm not really sure what the translation is -- I see "high grasslands" or "plateau", or sometimes the original "causse" is just used. Some people compare them to the Highlands, although I do think there are a number of geological and botanical differences.